Moisture

Okay, so now you have learnt how to detangle your child's hair, now what?


After detangling, washing/cleansing and conditioning your hair what you want to think about with curly hair is how to keep it moisturized. This can be done it many ways; leave in conditioner, oils, protective styling products and so on. I'm not going to go into the sience of curly hair, but most of you might already noticed that it gets dry very easily. Especially in the Scandinavian climate, curly hair doesn't fare well from cold weather, it's just the reality. So now you have added moisture - water - to your child's hair and you want to make sure it stays there. A oil is a great way to do this, as oils lock in the moisture to the hair. Basically what you want to do is find a way to aid the hair in keeping as much moiture as possible.


Of course, as always, you have to find a hair care regime that works for your child's hair.
I know, this can be hard. There is no one definite way, but for a little direction here's my current fall regime:

- Cleansing: I only use my cleaser when I'm experienceing product build up. So if I've been using a lot of gel to style I use my cleanser. Once every month or once every 6 weeks or so. I do not use a schampoo. I use Kinky Curly Come Clean which is a mild cleanser that has water as the first ingredient on it's list.

- Co-wash: I "wash" my hair once a week or once every ten days. I just finished my bottle of Curl Queen Beauticurls. If I feel that my scalp needs it I do massage it on to mys scalp, but I mostly focus on my hair.

- DC: Yes, everytime I "wash" I deep condition right now. My hair just craves it, it's the only thing that leaves my hair feeling completely soft, the conditioner is jsut not enough in fall!

- Leave in: I love my Kinky Curly Knot Today, my hair just doesn't feel good without it anymore. And I really believe in leave in conditioners before styling.

- Oils: Right now I'm experimenting with Avocado oil. But find an oil that you work and is easily ascessble. I know a lot of naturals like to apply it all over the hair, but I prefer to just put it on my ends sinc eI experience most moster loss there.

- Letting it dry: I like to take a shower in the morning, but I'm adjusting my routine now that it's getting cold to avoid leaving the house with wet hair, cause it won't dry. And there's nothing worse than having wet hair a whole day. If you want to use a hair drier or a defuser then do it, I know a lot of curly girls do. But I avoid to use heat on my hair, I like it to air dry.


- Protective styles: This is the time to find styles that you can wear for a long time without having to manipulate your hair all the time. Two strand twists, cronrows... whatever works. Fins something that suits you and your child. 

Comments

Popular Posts