A Trip Down Memory Lane

Accessories! :)

When I visited my parent's house a few weeks ago and combed through their box of old pics I was amazed at all the frizz and dry hair. Was that really my hair??? I remember some of the hair do's, and some I couldn't recollect at all. I remember that box braids (or my mom's attempt at them) was my favorite for a long time (see last pic). It let me have my hair untouched for a week or longer. And when I had box braids it was almost like straight hair; it hung down the sides of my face and moved when I moved my head. My mom always braided my hair wet so when the braids dried they shrunk up a lot and got much thicker and shorter than what they were when they were newly braided. I didn't like the shrinkage, I hated it. I wanted to have long hair just like my friends. It's funny because nowadays the shrinkage doesn't really bother me. But back then it didn't matter how long my hair was, after it tried it was always above my shoulders (still is, but that's okay). I wished my hair would just stay the way ti was when it was soaking wet; hanging down my back in defined curls without volume.

Frizzy girl
I think hair has become important to me because it's been a major issue all my life. No body knew how to care for it. My friends and strangers were always amazed by it. And I was always disappointed by it. Hair is a big deal when it's bad. If you have nice, healthy well managed hair you might not give it much thought. But when you have had hair issues all your life, yeah, it becomes very important. If you don't feel pretty how are you going to feel good about yourself?

"Box Braids"
 I think this is a issue many mixed kids can relate to. And speaking to parents with mixed kids it still seems to be a issue. Scandinavian society is based on majority, as most societies, but when you are a part of the minority you realize how marginalized you are. I hope that it will become easier to find good hair care for all the curlies growing up in Scandinavia. And that kids growing up won't have to go to a awkward hair stage, be it relaxers, big dry frizzies or bad box braids and instead learn to care for their hair when they are growing up and feel good about themselves and their hair all through life.

The end of my trip down frizzy lane...

Comments

Popular Posts