Nobel Peace Prize

A few days ago the Nobel Peace Prize was given to three outstanding and inspirational women; President Ellen Johnson Sirleaf (Liberia), Leymah Gbowee (Liberia) & Tawakkol Karman (Yemen). This was and historical event, not only because they all were women, but also because Tawakkol Karman is the youngest person to ever receive this price. If you never heard the names of these women before I suggest you visit Google and read about them!

This morning when I looked at their acceptance speeches and was blown away by pride that this is happening in my life time. This is a big event not only for me as a woman, but also as a woman with African decent. These are the women who's shoulders we will stand on. These are the women that not only have changed the world, but they are the women who continue to inspire change in the world. So amazing!

And of course, being true to my natural hair spotting eyes I watched the prize ceremony and was so excited to see so many women with traditional African clothing and head wraps. I love head wraps. And it seemed that every wrap was a bit different, and so original.

President Ellen Johnson Sirleaf has been wearing head wraps publicly for a long time. Her head wraps are like Mandela's shirts, they are a part of the image of her. She carries them with great pride and beauty.



Leymah Gbowee had the most beautiful head wrap at the ceremony, unfortunately I couldn't find a picture of it. But it was loosely tied with a free part at the back and framed her face beautifully. 
I adore this picture!



If you are in Sweden and haven't seen their Nobel Peace Lectures you should watch them on SVT Play


Comments

Popular Posts