Obsession

Last weekend my friends and I attended Summer Jam outside Cologne, Germany. Like at any reggae event it was locs galore. Everywhere you could spot women and men with locs. From the shortest starting out locs to the longest past the knees (no lie!) locs. Since Silver-Straw was one of the friends there with me and he's still at the start of his loc journey, we did a lot of loc spotting together. I saw the most beautiful women with perfect locs in cute hair do's as well as men with "manicured locs" down their backs. I saw people of European descent with crazy raggedy looking locs as well as some with beautifully formed locs.
Toni Morrison
Even before Summer Jam I was researching locs. It is a style I love and haven't tried yet. I've always said I'd loc my hair when it turned gray a la Toni Morrison. But right now I'm playing with the thought of starting my own locs journey. This would mean a serious commitment and lots of patience. Patience is my greatest life lesson, so maybe locs would be totally suitable for me, lol.
Since I'm at home sick I've spent a lot of time on YT the last two days.


Don't be confused, there are styling options for locs as well, which make them very appealing to me.

One thing that I've thought of, actually two things. But one thing is that I haven't found anyone on YT yet with a similar curl pattern to mine, it would be nice to see someone with a similar curl pattern to see results. Not that I doubt that my hair could loc! When I was younger my mom somehow didn't detangle my hair right and it got matted into one huge flat loc thingy on top of my head. My hair can definitely loc, lol!  
Another thing I have thought about is how I need to cut down on products if I decide to loc. I won't need as many products, and will probably not be able to do reviews in the same extent as I do now. Especially not in the starting out phases of my locs. Which actually would be like rehab, lol. 

Here's a cute vid for Loc Appriciation Day which was on June 23rd. 

I'd love to hear from you guys, what do you think? Should I loc?? 

Comments

  1. Hey, I was natural 8 yrs before I recently loced. I´m about 7½ months into my loc journey. I would say, you should first enjoy your hair, and then when you are ready to loc, you will know. I wasn´t ready before, since I couldn´t imagine not having my free BAA. Only you will know when you are ready.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for your comment Athena!! I love my loose hair most days... I do think about my loc journey daily, just not sure when it begun. I'm still researching different techniques to start locs. Best of luck on your loc journey!! x

      Delete
  2. Let me first say that I am a dread and, therefore, totally and unapologetically biased.

    And yes, I think you should loc :-)

    Take at look at my Friends of the Family page and see if you can find anyone with similar hair:
    http://nappyheadedblackgirl.com/friends-of-the-family/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your comment! Your locs are beautiful! I think your links will keep me online all night, lol!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Feel free to comment on the posts!
Join in the conversation!

Popular Posts