Hair & Poetry XIII

I rediscovered Mutabaruka the other day. I'd seen him on Def Poetry ages ago and then somehow he disappeared into my subconscious. But then he popped up on the list of Poetry Africa performances on YouTube and I was thrilled. I find that poems always come to me at the time they were intended to, and Mutabaruka came exactly when I needed him. This is the kind of man I'd love to have as my father-in-law. :)

Not only does he speak with great knowledge and power, he has locs :P I love his turbans and his African inspired attire. I love the way he educates you as he speaks and isn't afraid to speak of things that aren't considered PC. I think you just have to go online and find out more about this man, listen to what he has to say! 

Find out more about him here!

I love what he says in this YouTube clip about being Africans:
(Bare with me in my attempt to type in patois, lol! I do not speak patois or attempt to speak patois, but I didn't want to type it in regular English when the man so obviously speaks patois. I love patois!)
"We is African people, whether we wa accept it ar nat. You don't haffi go Africa to be an African.
//
If a cow barn inna pig pen him still a cow. A cow nah haffi barn in a cow pen to be a cow. So, the cow will always say mo even he amongst pig." 

Comments

  1. Looking at his youtube right now i love poetry hair & african american unity

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Feel free to comment on the posts!
Join in the conversation!

Popular Posts