Vegetable Glycerin


If you are like me, reading your product labels you have seen the two words a few times. Vegetable glycerin is fairly common in natural hair products. Why? It's a humectant. What?! Yes, that may be a word you don't hear everyday, to be honest I hadn't heard it until I dove into the natural hair community. If I have understood it right a humectant takes water from the hair, thus helping to moisture the hair from the air around you. Not to be confused with a moisturizer that adds moisture from the product. (If I'm wrong, correct me) Glycerin also adds slip (makes it easier to detangle or comb hair).

Vegtable glyrcerin is made from plants (unlike glycerin made by animal sources) such as avocado, etc. Glycerin is a clear thick liquid that is water soluble. You can buy your own vegtable glycerin. I've found it available by Crexrome in Sweden.

There are a lot of do it yourself recipes online on spritzes and other products with vegetable glycerin or just glycerin. In the future I promise to try one and let you know what I think.

Comments

Popular Posts