Tips for transitioners

Transitioner = someone who is going from a relaxer to a natural head of hair without cutting it all off (BCing).

I only transitioned once for a very short period of time, since I only had a very short love affair with the relaxer. And I hardly remember what I did, it wasn't pretty though... I think I put in braids after like 4 months of new growth, and then did a BC after maybe 3 months after taking out the braids and just let my hair grow back. But short hair isn't for everyone, and the thought of having to cut your hair off completely may result in a person staying with the relaxer when they really would like to go natural. So if you son't want to cut it all off transitioning is the way to go!

Transitioning is big in the natural community. And since I realize that some of you our there in the world peeping on to this blog once in a while may be relaxing (or texturizing) your hair but wanting to go natural I wanted to do a post on transitioning. Like always, make sure you know what you are getting yourself into to ensure the best possible outcome.

For transistioners Darcy's has created their very own product Darcy's Botanicals Coconut Lemongrass Transitioning Creme. Using good products during your transitioning is important, since your hair will be very sensitive, need lots of moisture and good hair care. 

A few tips from people that have transitioned:

Check out FusionofCultures YouTube Channel
for great hair styles for transitioning/natural hair.
She also has a follow up to this video, which you can view here.

Also read these blog posts with tips for transitioners:
Black Girl Long Hair
Curl Rehab

Books:
The Secrets of A Long Time Transitioner (e-book)
Thank God I'm Natural

Comments

Popular Posts