200th Post!

This is my 200th post!! I was feeling some pressure to write a great 200th post last night so I just didn't write. But then today I knew what I wanted to write about. Yes, sometimes sleeping on it is the way to go. ;)

After meeting with the lovely ladies that will be a part of Cph Curls & Conversation and talking to them and listening to what people were talking about I realized why hair is so important to me. Yes, hair is just dead matter on your head, but it's also a part of your identity. And for women with curly hair and with African decent hair is tightly linked to identity. Especially when you grow up in a society where straight hair is the norm as well as what's considered beautiful. It sets us apart from "the average person".

My goal for this blog is not to convince everyone to go natural or pass judgement on the women who choose to relax their hair. I think that if you chose to relax your hair it should be your choice. As well as choosing the natural route should be your choice. I just hope that if you choose to use chemicals, be it a relaxer, texturizer, bleach or whatever else that you make an informed decision. This goes for all hair related issues. I want my readers to understand their hair and love it. I want you to get excited about your hair! (Side note: When I first thought about that sentence Dr. Phil popped up in my head, I'm not sure if he still has the same intro for his show but there used to be this part where he says "I want you to get excited about your life" lol)

Carriene (from I Love Natural Hair) said something on Saturday that resonated with me, she said "Nobody knows your hair better than you. What you have been doing with it, where it has been." Yes! This is is! We are taught that the hair dresser knows best when it comes to our hair. But, the hair dresser only sees your hair for a few hours every other month or so. And since curly hair has so many different textures and needs hair dressers can be mistaken too (an no, I'm not trying to say you shouldn't trust hair dressers, I'm saying you should learn to trust your own judgement when it comes to your hair, not just the hair dresser's).

So basically what I'm hoping for with this blog and with the event is that women and men with curly hair as well as parents to curly haired kids will feel empowered. Empowered to choose what they feel is right for themselves. Empowered to love their natural hair texture. Empowered to teach their children good hair care.

Thank you for reading, commenting, e-mailing and tweeting, it means a lot!

Love your natural hair!   

Comments

Post a Comment

Feel free to comment on the posts!
Join in the conversation!

Popular Posts