Cutting Curly Hair

I don't let anyone, and I mean anyone cut my hair. No, not even trained professionals. Actually, especially not trained professionals, haha. I just don't trust people to know how to cut my hair, so I like to do it myself. And if my hair is going to get f-ed up I rather do it myself than paying someone to do it :) Yes, I have been scarred. I know there are great, trustworthy hair dressers outthere. And for all of you who have found professionals that you like and trust, good for you! :)

The opinion on how often you should trim your hair varies. If you read beauty mags I'm guessing they'll say ever 6 to 8 weeks. I disagree. How often you need to trim your hair depends on how you treat your hair and what kind of hair you have. If you use heat to style your hair a lot, have a relaxer or use products that strip your hair of it's natural moisture then yeah, it needs to be trimmed often and regularly. But, if you rarely use heat on your ends and your hair is well moisturized from root to end, well then trimming should be done individually.

I trim my ends maybe every six months. In the state my hair is in right now I think I could get away with it even less frequently. Like everything else you can find clips on YouTube with instructions how to cut your curly hair. You just have to find a video and a technique that works for your curls.

From the creator of DevaCurl and DevaCurl Salon, NY.


Tighter curls by Flyy Beauty


BlackOnyx has great videos. 


You might have noticed, if not, I just want to point it out: Curly hair should be cut dry. Yes, this was news to me too a while back, but it does make sense. You want to cut your hair so it looks good when it's dry, then why cut it when it's wet? You all know curly hair looks completely different when it's wet. 

Comments

Popular Posts