Shrinkage

Shrinkage seems to be the enemy nowadays. At least when you are looking at natural hair blogs and vblogs. There are loads of tips on how to avoid and minimize shrinkage.

What is shrinkage? You know how when you pull your curls straight they are one length and then when you let go of the curl it curls back up much shorter? You know how when you are in the shower and you hair is wet (and more straight) is lays on your back and then when it dries it's above your shoulders? That's shrinkage.
Wet ---- Dry
If you look at the picture I took of my hair you will see the difference in length. The first one is taken as I got out of the shower and my hair was soaking wet and my hair comes to my collar bone. The Second one was taken when it was completely dry (I had added leave in conditioner, as always when it was wet.) and my hair is way above my shoulders. This is shrinkage. 

Now I accepted shrinkage a looong time ago. Since I've been natural most of my life I am very familiar with shrinkage and have accepted it. When you have curly hair there's going to be shrinkage, that's how our hair works. Now when I was younger I wished I could get my hair to stay in the state is is when I'm just out of the shower, defined looser curls. But I had no clue and no products that could help me do that. And now that I have found products that can make my hair stay in the "wet look" I want my hair to be shrunken and poofy. :) I'm never satisfied. 

How do you feel about shrinkage? Is it the enemy? 

Comments

Popular Posts