Hair Role Models

Growing up I didn't really have anyone to look up to when it came to my hair. As a child you desperately want to fit in, but when you have big poofy hair and all your friends have straight hair you can't help but feel like a outsider. And when all the dark skinned people around you and in the media seem to have straight hair it will leave a curly haired teenager confused and with a bad self image.

The first celeb I could mirror myself in was Melanie Brown (Scary Spice) from the British 90's pop group Spice Girls. Mel B was the first celeb I saw with big hair, just like mine, that made it big. She was seen as pretty, sexy and powerful, and for a young curly girl growing up in straight haired Sweden she was a role model. I absolutely adored Mel B!

Looking back now having someone to relate to and look up to when it comes to my hair has made a big difference in the hair choices I made.
I also feel like the lack if role models when it comes to curls in Sweden makes me even more aware of my hair choices. And that little curly girls looking at me with big eyes do mirror themselves in me, so I have love my hair, not only for me, but for them as well.

Comments

Popular Posts