Natural Hair Talk on JuJu Radio

Carriene from I Love Natural Hair was featured on the K. Mo Show on JuJu Radio last Saturday. I missed the show because I was working, but got a chance to listen to it yesterday. Some parts of it made me shake my head, other parts made me want to lay down and surrender and other made me nod my head. I think because I am constantly in the natural hair community, tweeting, reading blogs, watching YT, talking to friends, I forget that not everyone's perception of natural hair is the same. 


After listening to the show and digesting it for a day, my thoughts are this: 
When we talk about natural hair we have to make sure to define what we mean by natural hair. Is a weave natural? Is a relaxer? Where does the natural line end and the unnatutal one begin? Personally I think natural hair is the hair that grows out of your scalp when it's not been chemically treated (relaxer, texturizer, etc.). If you put a weave in and keep you hair in its natural state underneath your hair is still natural, but your hair do is not. Do you follow? 

Also, someone stated on the show that not everyone can wear their hair natural because it doesn't suit everyone. That's BS! Ok, if by suit you mean it doesn't fit in to your life style, you look/image, or whatever then I can say ok. But if by suit you mean doesn't look good on you then we need to talk. How can the hair you were born with, the hair that biologically is yours not look good on you? I don't buy that argument. And 'til this day I haven't seen a single natural hair woman that I have though: Ehm, noooo, she shouldn't have done that, she needs to relax that. (Even though there are naturals that could need some tips and suggestions on products and care) If you came out of the womb with curls then that's what nature/God intended for you. 

I know Khalisa behind the show, and would love to get her thoughts on why she wanted to include men into this conversation (next time I see her I'll ask). Or rather, why the opinion of men was so important? I think men in general may have preferences in looks, we all do, but I don't think it's up to men to decide if natural hair is beautiful or not, there's no need to give them all that power. 

And one last thing, I don't (want to) believe that "going natural" or wearing your hair in its natural state is a fad. How can looking the way you were born be a fad or a trend?!

Please listen to the show and let me know what your thoughts on this are! 

Comments

Popular Posts