Hair Heritage in Africa

South African natural hair vlogger AuCurls Naturelle posted this video in the South African Naturals Facebook group the other day and I wanted to share it with you.

I grew up in Sweden, so I've not experienced this first hand at all. But I have friends who came to Sweden as children and had attended school in various African countries before so I've heard some hair related stories like these.
I've also heard (white/Swedish) parents with adoptive African children say that they put extensions in their small girl's hair with the reasoning that "in Africa they put extensions in small children's hair" which is not my impression from being in South Africa or Zimbabwe, as well as talking to people that grew up in African countries.

I hope more naturals in Africa share their stories with the rest of the world.


I wonder, not just seeing this video, but talking to woman who grew up in African countries. If children wore the same hair styles before colonialism. Or if the "keep it short" and "keep it neat" was something that came when Europeans brought religion and their type of schools to Africa. It's no secret that braided hair styles come from Africa, and Ethiopian woman in particular are known for their beautiful braided hair designs. So I'm just curious if Africans choose the hair styles (short and "neat") for themselves or if they more or less had no choice.

Follow AuCurls Naturelle

What are your experiences on Hair Heritage in Africa? Comment below!

Comments

  1. one thing about most part of africa is that, most people in africa were known for "hair / head decor" during the days of "african kingdoms" way before colonial life...
    So you would be amazed by the excuses school give... "natural hair is too difficult and time consuming" so how did our foremothers keep their hair so well and long without any hustle? Then rather give them a hat or scarf to wear instead of cutting something that is a part of them.
    now that I put that video out, i realised that this childhood experience is the reason i didnt like having a TWA and i didnt fully enjoy that stgae. i also heard that white families who adopted black kids give them a TWA all their lives until they make their own choices....and that is why blogs such as "Chocolate Hair / Vanilla Care" is so helpful to causcasian parents with black or mixed race kids. Apparently she has helped a great deal.
    Thanks for sharing sis :D :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think this topic is so interesting, that's why I did a post. 'Cause a lot of the natural hair related information comes from the States where some black people (not all) don't really feel connected to Africa and don't really speak of this. I think it's good for naturalistas on the continent as well in the diaspora to think a bit about things like these. I think for many of us the relationship to our hair and everything that comes with that started very young. I hope this is a topic that would be discussed further on many platforms ;)

      Delete
  2. I wish she could go to aboarding school and ask those questions. Would love to hear their reasoning. I know that in the west africa, neatness and clean is very important. Go to a school in Nigeria With dirty socks and you are in trouble. I wouldnt be supriced if it is about fear.,fear that a huge afro would be harder to keep clean. So lack of knowledge is My reply.

    When it comes to the Fancy hairstyles you see Americans and parents With adopted children, it is a matter of money and culture. Braiding the hair yes, but spending money on Fancy extentions is nothing a lot of My southafrican family members would do.

    I Think it just make children too focused on their appearence to early. Kids should play and have fun. Not walking around showing off their latest extentions. IMO

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your comment Lisa! I agree, I think a lot of knowledge has been lost along the way.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Feel free to comment on the posts!
Join in the conversation!

Popular Posts