Parenting: Asking for Help

A while ago I was sent an article called ‘As a white mother to a mixed race child, I couldn’t cope with my daughter’s hair’ by one of my friends. I read the article and thought about how hard it is for parents to ask for help. Of course this goes for all aspects of parenting, but mainly I thought about hair care. When you don't know how to care for your child's hair it can be very frustrating for both you as a parent and the child. If you don't have anyone to ask for help it gets very complicated. The advice of strangers can be a tough one to bear. In the past I've approached parents who obviously needed help with their children's hair care, I've handed them my business card and never heard from them. Maybe they have read the blog without me knowing, maybe they were offended by my suggestions. I did not mean to offend anyone, just to offer them the help my own mother never had but desperately needed. 

At age 6

This picture to me is very personal. I remember this day quite well, I loved that sweater with the cartoons on it, and I got to borrow the sunglasses and the cap from my mom's co-workers. I can't remember if I started the day with braids and took them out during the day or had already taken them out. Yes, that was a braid out (if you can even call it that). All I wanted as far as my hair went at this age was for my hair to hang down and move in the wind. My mother struggled with my hair and had no one that could really help her.

I'm glad things have changed and social media does make it easier for parents to get the help they need in terms of hair care. I feel so much joy when a parent says to me "I read your blog, it's really good."since this was my main reason for starting this blog six years ago, to pay it forward. No six year olds should have to feel as uncomfortable in their own bodies as I do in the picture above just because their parents don't know how to care for their hair. 

There's no shame in asking for help when you can't figure out how to care for your child's hair. There's a whole community of people online and off-line that will gladly help! You are doing yourself and your child a great favor by asking people that know what they are doing for help. Charlotte who wrote the article above went out of her comfort zone to ask a stranger for help which turned out to be a great resource for both herself and her daughter in terms of hair care and as a role model. Don't be afraid, just ask! 

Comments

Popular Posts